I was browsing through Amazon the other day and noticed all of the different priced smokers available, especially when it came to electric units and wanted to put together a list of the best electric smokers under $400, to give folks a “shop by price” type of review for this particular price range.
I also looked at electric smokers around the $200 price range, the $500 price range and the best $300 electric smokers, so feel free to visit those pages if you would like to see what I came up with in those categories. Click here to see a large selection of smokers from Amazon.
A Masterbuilt Smoker Takes The Lead!
The first smoker under $400 we are going to have a look at is the Masterbuilt 20070512 40-Inch Front Controller Electric Smoker with Window and even comes with a remote control to control the thing!
The 40 inch front controller electric smoker with a window and radio frequency remote control makes this a great smoker for anyone who would like to combine modern technology with a practical smoker grill. The remote control lets you monitor the temperature of the smoker, turn the inside light on, set a timer and turn off the smoker.
Wheels and handles make this smoker portable and inside you will find over 900 square inches, 4 chrome plated racks and a 1200 watt heating element for smoking, a powerful and capable combination.
A brief look at some of the included features:
- 975 sq. inches of cooking space with 4 chrome-coated racks and 1200 watt heating element with FULL foam insulation
- Blue LED display makes reading temperatures and cooking time in direct sunlight easy
- RF Remote controls and monitors temperature, time, internal light, on/off and meat temperature
- Redesigned front access drip pan, smoother operating wood chip loading system and side/top air damper
- Handle and rear wheels makes moving easy
How About A Brinkman Smoker Under 400 Dollars?
The Brinkmann 810-7080-K Electric Gourmet Grill and Smoker is a great choice, even though it only had a 3.5 star rating and really it was due to the lack of variable heat, which is missing from this unit. You simply plug it in and it maintains a 200 degree temperature, so no adjusting of the operating temperature is possible.
This slim electric smoker has a 1,500 watt heating element and its handles stay cool even when in use for many hours at a time, mainly due to the wood used. Two cooking racks within this smoker can handle up to 50 pounds of meat and vegetables at one time, so a decent amount of food can be cooked at one time, an important feature for smokers due to how long smoking typically takes.
It comes in at about 17 inches wide and 14 inches deep and has a front hinged door for convenience and ease of use and a porcelain coated steel water pan while lava rocks help contribute to continual heat and keeping the smoke trapped inside the unit.
This Brinkmann’s cool features:
- UL-listed electric smoker and grill with stay-cool wooden handles
- 2 chrome-plated steel cooking grills can hold up to 50 pounds of food
- Base contains a 1500-watt heating element and lava rocks
- Dome lid; front-hinged door; porcelain-coated steel water pan
- Measures 17 by 17 by 35 inches; 1-year limited warranty
Smokin Tex Comes In Third…
The third smoker (Smokin Tex 1100 Pro Series electric barbecue smoker) is not as fancy as the other smokers on the list and only has a total of 12 reviews (right now) but all of them were 4 or 5 stars total and everyone praises this model, so I thought it was worth mentioning.
The Smokin’ Tex 1100 electric barbecue smoker has a 350 watt heating element that can be set for a steady temperature to smoke just about anything. Two shelves that fit into this 12.5″ wide and 13.5″ deep smoker give you plenty of room to cook large amounts of food at any given time, while the grills and racks make for easy cleanup due to the fact that they are dishwasher safe. This smoker is small enough to be portable, but large enough to hold up to 23 pounds of meat, a good combination and a great fit for this category.
The Smokin’ Tex’s key features:
- Capacity Approximately 23 lbs. per load 1.7 Cu. Ft., 243 Cu In.
- Electrical 350 watt heating element, 8 amps, 120v single phase current.
- Comes with 2 shelves, capacity 3 (W=12.125″ x D=13.25″)
- Outside Dimensions W=14.75″ x D=20.5″ x 21.25″
- Inside Dimensions W=12.5″ x D=13.5″ x H=17.25″
The Best Bradley Electric Smoker:
It comes with 4 stainless steel racks inside for separating different food items and all digital controls that let you set a timer, the heat inside, a more hands-off approach really. It has the Jim Beam logo mounted on the front of it, if your in to that and uses wood bisquettes as its main source of heat/smoke that hover over a 500 watt heating element.
I was reading the dimensions on this Jim Beam smoker and realized that it was quite compact (14″ by 24″ by 31″) so it would make a great portable smoker, as long as you have a power source, your golden.
A Very Cool Smoker Under $400:
Last on the list is the Masterbuilt 20072115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker, which comes in a 30 inch or 40 inch model and both are under $400, so you can’t go wrong.
Your smart device can control your Bluetooth digital electric smoker and will turn the smoker on, monitor the cooking temperature for you, adjust the timer, if you want it to and check the temperature throughout the smoking process. The LED screen is visible even in direct sunlight and very easy to read and control, there’s nothing worse than a complicated control mechanism that takes hours of training just to operate the thing.
The included meat thermometer and four racks make sure the food is being cooked properly and that there is plenty of space to do so, as well. Side loaded wood chips and the air damper gives you complete control over the amount of smoke used in this smoker, without having to interrupt the internal temperature too much by opening the door.
Quick features this Masterbuilt smoker comes with:
- Integrated Bluetooth technology-control your smoker with your smart device!
- 721 sq. Inch of cooking space with four chrome-coated smoking racks
- Built-in meat probe thermometer for monitoring internal meat temperature
- Side wood chip loading system-add chips without losing heat or smoke
- 800 watt heating element for even, consistent smoking up to 275 Degree